Wednesday, August 25, 2010

MY Alma Mater

Yesterday was a bittersweet day in Brianna-land. I started a Sociology class at UNCC and wasn't prepared for the trip down memory lane that I took. I can't help but compare EVERYTHING at UNCC to the University of South Carolina. I know that is it clearly not the same. In my mind, when I walked out of class last night I wanted to be in the middle of the horseshoe, walking across campus to the Russell House. NOT walking through construction to a parking deck to pay $5 to park for 2.5 hours! I never imagined that I would be so partial to USC, the place where I spent 3 (of my 5) years of college not to mention thousands of dollars on out-of-state tuition. I never really wanted to leave, but I guess once you complete your undergrad the only option is a Masters degree and I just wasn't ready to do that. So now I am embarking on a second major at UNCC. I want to learn more, I just loved being back in the classroom watching everybody walk in asking themselves, "am I in the right place, is this the classroom?" Yes, there still are the stereotypical students that haven't changed over the years....the know-it all, the million question asker, the show-off, teacher's pet...etc. They all still exsist. Me? I sit in the back of the class, and don't talk. Surprised? Nah!
The only thing I can do for now is store all the memories of USC in my brain and pull them out when the need arises. I don't know what makes it so difficult to start at UNC Charlotte. I went there my first year out of high school and didn't like it really. That's why I left the first time. This time I'm stuck. There won't be any sounds of the step team practicing on Greene Street or the International Club walking through the Moore School of Business. I can't walk down the steps at the Russell House and see the football team gathered at the same set of tables everyday eating lunch. Nor will I be stopped by any sort of train on my way to my final exam at 8am on a Wednesday morning sometime in the future. I guess it's time to close my USC chapter of school and start fresh with the new semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment